For a full list of Degree Plans “Click Here!“
Child Development Degrees at Carl Albert State College
Carl Albert State College offers students five programs in child development all online:
* Child Development Associate Credential (CDA). Widely recognized credential in early childhood education and is a key stepping stone on the path of career advancement in early childhood education. The national CDA Credential is awarded by the Council for Professional Recognition to child care professionals who have successfully completed the CDA assessment process.
* Certificate of Mastery in Child Development. This 19-hour program prepares individuals for entry-level jobs as teacher assistants in early childhood programs. In fact, this program exceeds the training requirements for the national competency-based Child Development Associate credential – which means you would have an advantage when first applying for jobs at childcare centers, hospitals, children’s museums and more.
* Director’s Certificate of Completion in Child Development. This 25-hour program prepares individuals for students who desire to enhance their credentials for working in a child care center as a lead teacher, senior staff or assistant director.
* Associate of Applied Science in Child Development. This program is for students who want to work immediately after graduation. Students with this degree are prepared to work in early childhood programs in a variety of positions.
* Associate of Arts in Child Development. This is the best program for you if you’re planning to transfer your degree to a four-year college or university. Students who transfer can work toward degrees in child development and family studies, child development and early childhood education.
After Carl Albert
Our child development programs will prepare you to enter the workforce and apply for positions as teachers or administrators at childcare centers and preschools. By earning one of the child development degree options at Carl Albert State College and working in the child care field, you will be eligible to pursue participation in several different programs and/or job opportunities in Oklahoma. Program opportunities include:
*Eligible to apply for REWARD Oklahoma, a salary supplement program
*Achieve a level on the Oklahoma Registry Professional Development Ladder, depending on your degree option
*Meet qualifications for the General Education and ECE/CD knowledge/skills requirements on the Oklahoma Registry Director’s Credential, depending on your degree option.
You can access CASC’s online course catalog which includes details on Carl Albert State College child development degree requirements and child development class descriptions.
Faculty advisors will guide you in determining which course of study you should choose in order to reach your career goals. Consult a faculty advisor to find out which program is best for you. Start today! Complete a CASC online application now!
Transferring to a Four- Year Institution
Carl Albert State has transfer agreements with the Northeastern State University from the AA degree in Child Development to Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education, Human Family Sciences in Early Care and Human Family Sciences in General Studies. Carl Albert also has a transfer agreement with Southeastern Oklahoma State University from the AA degree in Child Development to Bachelor of Science in Early Intervention and Child Development.
Technology Occupations Building, HT 500B
Instructor of Child Development – 12 years
Technology Occupations Building
Child Development Adjunct Instructor – 9 years
Scholars for Excellence in Child Care
A scholarship for a child care professional like you.
Carl Albert State College, in association with the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) and the Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS), have launched a program that will assist child care providers in Oklahoma in obtaining a college education. The Scholars Program will support this effort with technical assistance and other support services to help the child care providers achieve their goals. In addition, the Scholars Program will aid the scholars (child care providers) in applying for financial aid and scholarships to pay for their education.
The Scholars for Excellence in Child Care Program offers a scholarship for child care professionals like yourself. With the Scholars Program, you can:
*Get free books.
*Pay only 30 percent of the tuition costs.
*Earn Pell Grants for additonal aid, if qualified.
The Scholars Program coordinator, Verna Corley, is available to help you find out more about these and other financial aid opportunities.
Scholars Program Eligibility
*Work in a one-star plus or above, OKDHS or tribal-licensed child care facility with a minimum of 1- percent subsidy children at time of application.
*Work as a teacher, family child care provider or director at least 30 hours per week earning $15.50 or less per hour.
*Be employed at a child care facility at least six months before beginning coursework.
*Once approved, be on a child development or early childhood education plan of study.
Note: Due to the availability of education and training funds, employees from federally funded child care programs are not eligible to participate in the scholarship.
Scholars Program Benefits
*Recruitment and follow up with the Scholars at their child care facility
*Assistance with Scholars Program tuition scholarship application
*Assistance with CASC college admissions
*Assistance with financial aid application and process
*Assistance with REWARD Oklahoma.
*Networking with other child care professionals.
*Scholarships for coursework at career technology centers for the Pathway to CDA program.
*Scholarships for coursework at community colleges and for the CDA Credential Assessment.
Call Verna Corley, Scholar Coordinator at (918) 647-1252 or (918) 385-1341, email firstname.lastname@example.org, Technical Occupations Building, HT 500A.:
Gainful Employment - Child Development*
Child Development CIP Code – 19.0709
Child Development Infant Toddler CIP Code – 19.0709
Child Development Director’s CIP Code – 19.0709
Time to Complete – One year
Total Hours – 19-25 credit hours
Financing for this program may be available through grants, scholarships, loans (federal and private) and institutional financing plans. The median amount of debt for program graduates is shown below:
OSRHE – Scholars for Excellence Program**
Private education loans
Institutional payment plan
U.S. Department of Labor Standard Occupational Classification
Child Development SOC Code – 39-9011.00 – Child Care Worker
Child Development Infant Toddler SOC Code – 39-9011.00 – Child Care Worker
Child Development Director’s Certificate SOC Code – 11-9031.00 – Director
Sample of reported job titles:
Before and After School Daycare Worker, Child Care Provider, Child Care Teacher, Child Care Worker, Child Caregiver, Childcare Worker, Infant and Toddler Teacher, Infant Teacher, Teacher Assistant, Toddler Teacher
Administrator, Child Care Director, Childcare Director, Director, Early Head Start Director, Education Coordinator, Education Director, Executive Director, Preschool Director, Site Coordinator
*The Child Development certificates are laddering certificates moving students through the Associate of Arts and Associate of Applied Science in Child Development Degree. From 2006-07 to 2014-15, over 30 percent completed the AA or AAS degree.
**Students who participate in the Scholars for Excellence must be employed prior to enrolling in the program and must maintain employment to retain eligibility.